“Is that my shirt?” asked my boyfriend. “Well, it used to be”, I answered. I left him no choice but to share his clothes with me during my pregnancy. My reasoning was simple … my clothes don’t fit me and most of his does. I don’t always wear his clothes by choice and they don’t always offer the most stylish looks but I have managed to make some of his pieces work for me and they look great when paired with some of my other items.
My friend Sandi Mabasa, Fashion Designer and owner of FabroSanz is my wardrobe savior. She is my go to person when it comes to making me look and feel beautiful for any event or occasion. She understands my needs and she knows which clothes suit my personality and personal style. Sandi is the person I have to thank for making me look like a pregnancy magazine cover model for my maternity photo shoot with professional photographer, Andile Mthembu
I was able to wear my normal clothes well into the second trimester of my pregnancy and I honestly believed that I wouldn’t need to buy new “preggy” clothes at all. As time went by, my clothes wouldn’t fit anymore and eventually I decided to go on a special shopping trip in search of stylish maternity clothes. I found myself at Sandton City, on a quest to find my pregnancy look, at all my “normal” favourite shops. After hours and hours of searching, all I could find were loose, oversized clothes but no dedicated maternity departments. It turns out, there aren’t a lot of retailers who carry maternity clothes. Death!
At a specific point in one’s pregnancy, comfort becomes the most important thing when choosing what to wear. I quickly got frustrated because I was not fitting into anything comfortably and Boo’s clothes was just not doing it for me anymore.
Recently, someone special introduced me to Tanya Lue, owner of Kids Emporium Morningside and Bryanston. Tanya was the answer to all my maternity wardrobe prayers. I clearly had not done my research properly because Tanya’s store was all kinds of fabulous when it came to maternity clothes. She spent over two hours with me at her Morningside store, helping me find a look for every possible occasion.
Pregnant women have cravings and something I craved for was my jeans … I love my jeans. I have more pairs of jeans than any other item in my closet. It really made me sad that I couldn’t wear them until Tanya introduced me to the Yummy Mummy Tummy belly band. I could finally wear my normal pairs of jeans again. It’s so simple … all you do is wear the Yummy Mummy Tummy belly band over your unbuttoned jeans and a top of your choice to go with the look you want to create. I could not believe how comfortable the belt was over my jeans … its magic!
Tanya has everything from the corporate look, evening wear, all the way to everyday comfort wear. I found a variety of items to match my style. More importantly I feel comfortable and stylish.
You can imagine my relief when I left her store with my bags. Oh Happy Day!
Being a first time mom, I am learning all the time and I love to share my experiences. Here are my tips for finding the right maternity clothes and for looking fabulous all the way through your pregnancy.
- Find Tanya from Kids Emporium Morningside and Bryanston … hahahaha … seriously, she will change your life.
- Buy maternity clothes that will last through several pregnancy stages so opt for good quality, stretchy items that will grow with you.
- Don’t go overboard on maternity clothes, you will only wear them for a few months. Only buy a couple of maternity pieces in neutral colours and mix/match them with your regular clothing items.
- Raid your husband or boyfriends closet, you might find a few items that look flattering on you.
- Maternity leggings are the bomb and an absolute must have. Buy a few pairs and dress them up or down. They are the staples of a maternity wardrobe and will change your life.
- Don’t forget the Belly Belt … it’s a lifesaver.
- Invest in good quality, flat and comfortable … but stylish shoes
- Take care of yourself. Make time for personal grooming, eat well, get enough rest and make healthy habits a priority
- Add fun and stylish accessories to your maternity wardrobe
- Introduce black into your wardrobe, it has a slimming effect.
Do you have any tips for for dressing during pregnancy? Please share in the comments below.