I’m feeling overwhelmed …
Just a few months ago I was feeling like Super Woman, working hard, being a mom and playing all the other roles I have assigned to myself.
Lately, I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have been working hard, trying to make sure I secure my child’s future while providing for her financially and emotionally. I feel guilty every time I walk out on her to go to work.
Often, as moms, we make it look easy and effortless but balancing work and being a mom is a lot of hard work. It feels asif my life and Kairo’s life is passing me by while I run around trying to balance everything.
I feel out of control. I need to take stock of my life so I can regroup and plan.
Here are a few things I am going to put in place so I can manage my time and life a little better and hopefully find some balance. I hope those of you who are finding yourself in a similar position will find this helpful.
- We are mothers and our instinct is to take care of everything and everybody. Slow down, it is okay to accept some help. You are not an island. You don’t have to do it all on your own. Write down all the things you need to attend to daily, whether it’s for home or work. If there are tasks you can assign to someone else, delegate.
- Dedicate sometime to yourself. I know it sounds ambitious and crazy but you need it. I have neglected this and I can feel the difference. My “me time” is in the morning when I go to gym and I also steal a few moments while driving for some peace and quiet.
- Plan activities with the kids, tell them about the activities and keep your word. This will help if you are a working. You know that you have special times planned with them. Just don’t cancel or change the plans. Once you start, you will always cancel plans with your kids for work.
- Take a walk.
- Worry less about tomorrow. I have been telling my friend this for a long time. She has a tendency of worrying about things that haven’t even taken place yet. Does this sound like something you do? Stop it! Look around you and be grateful for what you have right now. Live every day as if it’s your last, embracing each experience as if it’s your first.
- Learn to say no. If someone asks you for a favour or help and you know you can’t help right now, be honest and tell them you would love to help but you just can’t do. Trust me, they’ll find a way. Don’t kill yourself trying to help other people. You already have enough on your plate.
- Take care of yourself. We have a tendency of taking care of ever body and totally forget about ourselves. You are just as important so do not neglect yourself.
- People always ask me how I manage everything that I do and my answer is always “I take it one day at a time”. This has really helped me over the years. Everything I do, I do it one moment at s time. Planning helps a lot. I plan my day as much as I can.
- Lastly, don’t be too hard on yourself. You are doing the best that you can. Don’t allow guilt to rattle your life.
You are a mom and to me, you are already a super hero. Don’t forget to give yourself a star on the forehead every now and then because you really rock!